Due to wet weather, we have had to move to an indoor venue. We will now be holding the 16 Days of Activism to End Violence Against Women Launch and Vigil at the Newcastle Art Gallery, located at 1 Laman Street, Cooks Hill (behind Civic Park).As such, all Service NSW App Check Ins and Proof of Vaccinations will need to be cited on arrival. Please arrive early to ensure this can happen in a timely and physically distanced manner. We appreciate your support.
The Gender Research Network at The University of Newcastle invites Novocastrians to help raise awareness of domestic and gender-based violence in the Hunter Region as part of the Global 16 Days of Activism to End Violence Against Women Campaign. 2021 marks the 30-year anniversary of this an annual clarion call to eliminate gendered violence across the around the world.
The international 16 Days of Activism 2021 theme is “Orange the world: End violence against women now!”UN Women Australia
The 2021 Newcastle 16 Days of Activism will include various local events, beginning with the Launch and Vigil at the Newcastle Art Gallery on Thursday November 25, 2021. New resources created by Newcastle City Council in collaboration with the local Domestic Violence Committee will be launched and Civic Park and The University of Newcastle’s NuSpace will ‘turn orange’ in support of the cause. Launch and Vigil will be livestreamed (see below) for those unable to attend in person.
Please arrive at 6.30pm for a 7pm start.
2021 Launch and Vigil features:
- A musical performance by Anousha Victoire
- An acapella performance by Tamarillo
- Poetry readings from Janette Hoppe and Kathy Edwards
- Kelly Hansen, the CEO of Nova for Women and children, as a guest speaker.
- Colleen Mullins (Case Worker at Samaritans) and Dr Nafiseh Ghafournia (Multicultural Officer at HNE) to launch new Coercive Control Resources campaign.
- Sarah Williams to talk about ‘What Were You Wearing?’ Exhibition
- Rae Hopkins the manager of Warlga Ngurra Women and Children’s Refuge, and other community members, as guest speakers to read some of the names of women in the vigil.
Thank you to Scion Audio and Events for facilitating the livestream:
The Newcastle 16 Days of Activism to End Violence Against Women Campaign is made possible due to support from the University of Newcastle’s Gender Research Network and City of Newcastle’s Social Inclusion Grants Program.